In this episode we discuss bald eagles, what they eat, where they live, their dramatic decline due to DDT, and then their miraculous recovery.
Bald eagle photo by Richard Lee
References for this episode:
- Todd CS and friends. 1982. Food habits of bald eagles in Maine. The Journal of Wildlife Management.
- Andrew JM and Mosher JA. 1982. Bald eagle nest site selection and nesting habitat in Maryland. The Journal of Wildlife Management.
- Interior secretary repeals ban on lead bullets https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/322058-interior-secretary-repeals-ban-on-lead-ammunition
- Heisman R. 2018. Bald Eagle, The Ultimate Endangered Species Act Success Story. American Bird Conservancy. https://abcbirds.org/bald-eagle-the-ultimate-endangered-species-act-success-story/
- DDT Regulatory History: A Brief Survey (to 1975). EPA. https://archive.epa.gov/epa/aboutepa/ddt-regulatory-history-brief-survey-1975.html
- Watts DB and friends. 2010. Recovery of the Chesapeake Bay Bald Eagle Nesting Population. Journal of Wildlife Management.
- Endangered species act data: https://ecos.fws.gov/
- Deatrick E. An Elegy for America’s Oldest Bald Eagle https://www.audubon.org/news/an-elegy-americas-oldest-bald-eagle
You can get full text of these articles through Sci Hub