In this episode we start a two-part discussion on Bt crops (a type of genetically modified organism) with some background on crop domestication and crop pests.
References for this episode:
- Meyer RS and Purugganan MD. Evolution of crop species: genetics of domestication and diversification. Nature reviews genetics. 2013.
- Oerke EC. Crop losses to pests. The Journal of Agricultural Science. 2006.
- EPA. Pesticides Industry Sales and Usage 2008-20012. https://www.epa.gov/pesticides/pesticides-industry-sales-and-usage-2008-2012-market-estimates
- Chaplin‐Kramer R and friends. A meta‐analysis of crop pest and natural enemy response to landscape complexity. Ecology letters. 2011.
- Gould F. The evolutionary potential of crop pests. American Scientist. 1991.
- Gallun RL. Genetic basis of Hessian fly epidemics. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 1977.
- Turcotte MM and friends. The eco-evolutionary impacts of domestication and agricultural practices on wild species. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences. 2017.
- Whitehead SR and friends. Domestication impacts on plant–herbivore interactions: a meta-analysis. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences. 2017.
You can get full text of these articles through Sci Hub