Owls, loveable nocturnal hunters. We’ve been on a little hiatus from the podcast and this episode has been kicking around for a long time now, but we finally finished it. In this episode we run through a bunch of owl factoids, talk about an experiment looking at the impacts of noise pollution on owl hunting, and discuss some of the cultural importance of owls.
- Behrstock RA. Barn Owls / Typical Owls. In: Sibley D, Elphick C, Dunning JB. The Sibley guide to bird life & behavior. National Audubon Society. 2001.
- Geggel L. Whooo Knew? 10 Superb Facts About Owls. LiveScience. 2018.
- Mason JT, McClure CJ, Barber JR. Anthropogenic noise impairs owl hunting behavior. Biological Conservation. 2016.
- Francis CD, Barber JR. A framework for understanding noise impacts on wildlife: an urgent conservation priority. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment. 2013.
- Hayward LS, Bowles AE, Ha JC, Wasser SK. Impacts of acute and long‐term vehicle exposure on physiology and reproductive success of the northern spotted owl. Ecosphere. 2011.
- The Significance and Meaning of Owls in Japanese Culture